Sifnos is municipality of Prefecture Cyclades and is found in the western Cyclades. The Municipality of Sifnos was created from the conjunction of Communities Apollonia and Artemonas. It’s size is 74 km2, the population is around 2000 permanent residents and abstains 75 miles from Piraeus.
According to the legend "Sifnos" was the name of the son of the Attic hero Sounios, and the island was named after him. According to another version the appellation Sifnos derives from the adjective "sifnos" that means "empty" because of the many underground mine galleries in the subsoil of the island. The island is also mentioned by the appellations: “Akis”, “Meropi”, “Sifanos”, “Sifana” or “Sifanto”.
Most of the historians mention that Sifnos was first inhabited by Pelasgians and then by Phoenicians, Kares and Leleges. At that time it was called "Meropia". According to the legend these inhabitants was chased by the king of Crete Minoas, who made his sons governors of Cyclades. The town «Minoa» as well as the spring “Minoa” is also mentioned. At those times, the Aegean was inhabited by a tribe called the Proellines or Aegeoi. Later on, they have been mixed with the Cretans and the Achaeans.Later the Ionian colonists came to Sifnos in about 1130 - 1120 B.C. After the arrival of the new colonists, a new phase starts which has been marked by the need for peaceful and safe living of the residents and by the integrated coping with the new residential needs.So, at this time, according to Herodotus the ancient capital of Sifnos, the "asty" (=city) is established, at the centre of the eastern side of the island, in today's Kastro. The new city begins to extend and from the 6th century B.C., it starts being surrounded by wall. The excavations realised by British Archaeological School in 1934-1938 brought to light remains of settlements and graves dating from the 8th century, that prove the continuous life in Kastro.
The archaeological findings opened the way for the study on the economic conditions of the island in that time. So, it’s certified that during that time Sifnos had a very developed mining activity, which mainly regards the mining of silver and lead.Evidences of this activity have been found at the locations of Agios Sostis, Agios Silvestros and Xero Xilo. The latest scientific researches come to the conclusion that Sifnos was the most important providing source of minerals during the early copper era.A characteristic of Sifnos’ wealth is the fact that in Sifnos they started minting in about 600 B.C., in other words after Aegina and before Athens and Corinth. The most important and famous piece of Sifnos’ architecture, which proves the glamour and the flourishing economy of the island is the "Thissavros Sifnion” (the treasure of the residents of Sifnos), which has been built and dedicated to the sanctuary of Apollo in Delphi by the residents of Sifnos.
Today tourism is the most powerful economic element for Sifnos that continuously increases. Sifnos, the summertime, is particularly submerged by thousands tourists, that longs to taste her beauties.